This one goes out to all my Christian friends!
At my church we talk a lot about oneness over rightness and that if you’re wrong in the way you’re right, then you’re wrong. I was reminded of this truth this week and have had to cling to it a little bit tighter this week. I think as believers we’ve lost sight of a lot this week and I know a lot of it is due to the fact that some of us want to so badly be right, some of us are hurting, and some of us couldn’t be more pleased with where we stand today and yet we don’t want to make room for someone else to feel differently. I learned a few things this week that I hope would also serve you well when it comes to deciphering whether your heart is choosing rightness over oneness.
- If you care so much about proving a point by the comment and posts you share, you are choosing rightness over oneness.
- If at this point in the week you’re still using language like “those____supporters”, protesters, democrat/republican, etc… you are choosing division and are seeking to be right than to be united as a body.
- If you are still seeing and referring to people (even those to the most extreme ends of the spectrum) in any other form than a son or daughter of the most high God, you’re choosing rightness.
- If you’re looking for ways to demonize a group of people who think differently than you do, you are the problem.
- If you choose to reside in fear and anxiety, the problem isn’t the outcome of this election, the problem is your heart and where you’ve chosen to put all your trust and hope in ( this one hit home for me, BIG time). You’ve chosen that you are sovereign and that you’re ultimately right.
So what does it look like to choose oneness?
- If you are angry, sad, happy, excited… and you are surrendering those to Jesus, you are seeking oneness.
- if you are dealing with your emotions (none of which I believe are negative and another post for another day) in a way that is honoring to the Lord by seeking comfort within your community and the body of Christ, you are seeking healing-you are pursuing oneness over rightness.
- If you are praying before posting that article and discerning before doing so, if you’re praying for the people who’ve made you angry/sad/feel some type of way upon reading their post/watching their video, etc…you are making room for the Holy Spirit to move and are seeking oneness.
- If you you are hopeful, regardless of where you stand, and that hope is in nothing else but Jesus, your heart will be conformed to seek oneness.
- If you are praying for this country, your neighbors, and unity within the body, you are seeking oneness.
Like I said, these are things that came up for me, my prayer is that as a body we would unite and truly show one another the grace that’s been granted to us. I pray that we would look to each other with compassion and that we would seek to love one another without limits.That when the world would look at us and see the manner in which we love each other, that they would see Christ, and for many, maybe for the very first time.
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13
As always, if you’re reading this, then know that you’ve been prayed for 🙂
You are loved.
Vintage top and Leggings: thrifted
Glasses: Ali Express